In an era when enterprise mobility has scaled new heights of achievements, page loading speed is crucial in determining the success of any eCommerce business. In a research, it was observed that approximately 40% of mobile users take themselves off from a web page if it takes a longer time to load. In order to reduce the page load time on mobile devices, Google introduced AMP in 2015. It came up with mobile search algorithm update in 2016 and started highlighting Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMPs) in its mobile search results. Shorter load times can help eCommerce retailers to improve their web performance and visibility on Search Engine Results Page (SERP) of Google.
A Brief Introduction of AMP
- AMPs are open-source protocols that speed up pages loading on mobile browsers. AMP HTML pages can load 15-85% faster than non-AMP pages.
- AMP – an extremely powerful version of HTML, supports various ad networks.
- Data consumption reduces eight times when you load AMP than an average web page.
- The AMP links appear with gray lightning-bolt featuring logo along with the tag “AMP” in Google search results.
- AMP pages can be easily activated on websites built on Magento, Drupal, WordPress and on many other popular CMS.
Is AMP different from responsive web design?
While the responsive websites are created by redesigning the existing website whereas, implementation of AMP can be done easily on existing websites without the need of redesigning.